PDA

View Full Version : How long to install a dishwasher?

Rowan
October 31st, 2008, 09:07 AM
Rock while great at MMORPG's is somewhat challenged in the DIY department, I call him demolition man -give him a crow bar and ask him to take down a wall, great! anything that requires further skills, well that needs me.

So I admit I had not started to install our new dishwasher yet (we got it Sunday).. I did not have time after installing the new wall mount TV, give Rock his due he did help me lift it onto the wall mount....

So I get home last night with the kids from the dentist (not pleasant 5 yr old had to have fillings, with injection and mucho drama). To find Rock has pulled out the old dishwasher, well 3inches or so and is insisting we install it tonight it's about 6pm. I point out the pumpkins I had set up ready to carve and the fact I had dinner in the oven and said not a good time, he says it will only take 15 minutes.

I give him that look that says he crazy he insists... so anyway.. after turning off the water supply to whole house (the valve to the dishwasher connection leaked), one trip to lowes as the elbow bend would not come off old dishwasher (Rock at that point suggested finishing tomorrow.. and what would we do for water?) Rock has wired it in while I was at lowes but forgot to use the correct wiring box or put the wired through the holes, so I got to do that again when I got back..... we finally get to a point we can stop at, it still needs balancing and screwing to the underside of the kitchen Counter.. it is 8.30.. (2 and half hours later). Kids are starving....

Luckily I had made stew so it didn't suffer for being in the oven for 5 and half hours!!

SO thats the story.. this is one of many many similar stories where Rock says it's a 15 min job and I end up working on it for upwards of 2 hours (this happened last month with new taps on our bathroom sink). Worse sometimes he even leaves me to it and logs onto the game............

So in the effort to show Rock that I am not a crazy hormonal woman when I give him a time estimate for how long a job should take, I putting up this poll in the hopes that next time I say that is not a 15 minute job he will listen..

Thanks for your help!

Rowan

Ekic
October 31st, 2008, 09:17 AM
Lol, I hear ya about the "15 min project ending up taking half the day" :P

Since that is always the case it seems with anything...I'm going with a 1 hour 30 min allowance. It could definitely be done in 15-30 min if everything goes perfectly....which never happens :P

Bestar
October 31st, 2008, 01:15 PM
And other times he says it's a 15 min job but is done in about 2 seconds :haha:

Rock
October 31st, 2008, 10:54 PM
LOL Bestar. I never claim to offer more then I have... I don't get out much ;(

Mainsil
November 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Since I am not a professional plumber, painter, carpenter, mason, etc. These types of jobs are usualy only going to be done once every 10+ years or so. As a consequence, an unplanned trip (or two) to the hardware store will likely occur to pick up an adapter, mounting hardware, or some other forgotten thing.

My 'favoirite' longer than necessary event was when I had to solder some copper water lines. A profesional would have done it in about 30 minutes. It took me about 4 hours, and 5 tries. Draining the pipes and cleaning up the water after each failure ate up a lot of time. :haha:

Ekic
November 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Since I am not a professional plumber, painter, carpenter, mason, etc. These types of jobs are usualy only going to be done once every 10+ years or so. As a consequence, an unplanned trip (or two) to the hardware store will likely occur to pick up an adapter, mounting hardware, or some other forgotten thing.

My 'favoirite' longer than necessary event was when I had to solder some copper water lines. A profesional would have done it in about 30 minutes. It took me about 4 hours, and 5 tries. Draining the pipes and cleaning up the water after each failure ate up a lot of time. :haha:

Yeesh...copper pipes suck :P I've been there lol

kniht
November 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
as i have been doing a number of these projects for people as of late, i recently did remove a dishwasher and have a new one installed. i installed a new faucet at the same time, and ran into a 2 hour job, as the old faucet was all metal, with metal connectors. because it had all rusted together, and i couldn't get a saw up behind the sink, it was a nightmare.

as with most diy, the biggest thing is having the correct tools. if i had a dremel available, it would have been much shorter/easier. however, because i did it myself, i KNOW how it is put together, and i KNOW what it will take to repair/replace in the future.

it isn't much different than technology (e.g. computers). doing it yourself gives YOU ownership of it, and that can make all the difference moving forward. kudos for doing it yourself.

deadgoon
November 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I had a job delivering and installing appliances for Sears. It should only take about an hour at the very most. And as kniht eludes to; you need the right tools.

Also helps to be grounded on something when hooking up the electrical.

Me to old man: "So you're sure the breaker/fuse is off to this appliance."
Old man: "Yep. Did that before you showed up."
!!!ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!! (This would be me testing the electrical with a rubber handled screwdriver.)
Old man: "Whoops! Might have hit the wrong one."
Me: "..."

Lomax
November 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Thankfully my brother is a pipefitter and has his masters licenses for pretty much everything involving heating and air and he did appliance repair/installation while going to school years ago so these jobs don't take me any time at all. I just call him. :grin: Otherwise I would be like Rock.

Mainsil
November 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
The key here, is that for most homeowners, the DIY job is usually a one-of-a-kind project. It should only take an hour at most to install a dishwasher, unless you do it once every 10 to 15 years.

I put in my dishwasher about 10 years ago. I ran into some difficulty and had to run to home depot. However, I don't remember what the difficulty was, or what I had to buy. As a result, I will likely repeat the trip to Home Depot when i replace the dishwasher.

On the other hand someone who does this regularly, will have the tools, they will have the adapters, and will be prepared for all the contingencies.

DIY for me will always be slow and involve extra trips to Home Depot.